For this article, we decided to Interview Fariba Rahimi, a Norwegian supermodel and a fierce business woman who worked 20 hours a day to build a million dollar company, called Trøndervask.
We heard how Fariba Rahimi used to sleep in her car for less than 4 hours a day during the initial years of her company. Today, she runs a company with a turnover of more than a million dollars every year. We decided to ask how she made it all happen and we got some really interesting answers.
So without further ado, let’s dive right in, shall we?
Table of Contents
How did you Build Your Company?
- I had the idea in 2011 when there were over 170 facilities companies operating in Trondheim. As you can guess, the competition was extremely tough but I set my mind to making this company one of the best one day.
- I worked 20 hours a day while working different jobs. I had to sleep in my car several times to save the time it took driving home and coming back to work. It was extremely tough but absolutely necessary when it comes to building a business from scratch.
- People used to take my pictures sleeping in the car. But I didn’t mind because I knew what I was sacrificing for my company would pay off one day. All the hours I put in my company started to pay off and it started growing. I was only working with two partners during the initial years but as we grew, we employed more people and our team grew larger.
Why Did you Sleep so Little?
- As you know, the beginning of every successful company starts with the owner giving their blood, sweat and tears to the company. So did I. We often had laundry jobs late at night and the next tasks usually started very early in the morning. I was also part-time working at a healthcare institute as I had nursing education. There was no time to go home and find a bed to rest. So I used to sleep in my car, she said.
- I was never ashamed of working too hard. I did not like being dependent on anyone but myself, said the beautiful Iranian model while tucking her groomed locks of hair behind her ear. The beautiful hands you see are working hands. They have been working hard since I came to Norway as a political refugee from Iran when I was only 16 years old, said Fariba.
- As soon as I arrived here in Norway, I realized that if I were to have a good future in Norway, I would have to build it by myself, said the founder of Trøndervask while smiling.
Who Were your very First Employees?
- Most of our employees were foreigners from Eastern Europe, Asia, the Middle East and parts of Africa. For most people, I am the first employer they have in Norway. Gamontas Hansen (41) is among our first employees who is a mother of three and immigrated from Thailand in 2012. She is responsible for afternoon cleaning and is among the freshest hands of Trøndervask AS.
In a conversation with Gamontas, she said:
- I really like the work environment here and it means a lot to me. Finding work in Norway was difficult when I came. It almost seemed impossible because I did not know anything about the Norwegian language or society. But it eventually got better.
- It’s true. I can relate with her and I know how heavy it can be in the beginning because I have been there myself, Fariba added.
Is it a Big Responsibility Hiring Foreigners who Don’t Even Know the Language?
- Maybe. But for me, it’s a way of giving back to the universe. I give others a chance to succeed the same way I had the chance when I arrived in Norway.
Tell us About your Work Experience.
- If you look at my CV, you will find it very long and diverse, to put it simply. That’s because when I came to Norway, I didn’t have anything other than my health education from Iran. I worked in the health services in Trondheim for over five years.
- I also have vast experience in the restaurant industry, kindergartens and a number of other service-related professions. I know very well what it is like to work on the floor, she explained.
- Since I worked more than one job, they overlapped and the working days were very long. But I managed.
Are you a Workaholic?
- Haha! Fariba laughed. I guess I am. I don’t like staying still. I like activity. Otherwise, I get restless. And maybe that’s why you will always find me working, even though I am the boss now.
Laughing together, we parted ways with Fariba as she had a busy schedule. Fariba Rahimi owns one of the best cleaning companies in Trondheim. Her company was among the first to offer COVID-19 disinfection services in Norway. She owes her success to her hard work and the strong network she has built over the years. She has gained the trust of her clients, increasing her customer portfolio that includes kindergartens, fitness centers, healthcare facilities and more.
According to Fariba, quality services, competitive prices and a workforce that you trust are the three most important factors for the success of my company.